Why is ridesharing management software so essential to the resurgence of the carpooling movement?
After a brief period in vogue during the energy crises of the 1970s, carpooling receded to the background in the 1980s and 1990s. But more recently, ridesharing is dramatically resurging. Heightened awareness of the negative environmental impacts of single-occupancy vehicle commuting is one of the major reasons for its comeback, but there’s another: smart technology like ridesharing management software.
Today commuters experience unprecedented levels of Internet connectivity, making it easier than ever before for carpoolers to connect with one another, form groups, share costs, and enjoy the many benefits of ridesharing. Beyond reducing pollution, ridesharing also helps commuters save money on parking, fuel, and vehicle maintenance costs while reducing stress and improving workplace productivity.
On an organizational level, modern transportation demand management software is essential to the sustained success of carpooling and ridesharing initiatives. Such software provides ridematching tools to help commuters with similar schedules travelling from similar areas find one another, and can also manage carpool rewards programs to make sharing rides an even more desirable option.
Convenience is a crucial driver of behavior change, as commuters are far more likely to embrace ridesharing if it is as accessible as hopping in the car in the morning and driving away. Modern technology makes this possible.
Features to look for in ridesharing management software
Organizations that are looking to create a long-term culture change in their commuter bases should look for ridesharing management software tools that offers these user-friendly features:
- Intelligent rideshare matching. Give users the ability to find rideshare matches along their commuting routes in seconds.
- Network creation. Enable different organizational departments or locations to form their own individually administered rideshare networks.
- Support for incentive programs. Encourage higher levels of participation through rewards programs, mode-based challenges, and other gamification initiatives that get people excited about taking part.
- Built-in messaging and trip planner software. Help users make quick, efficient connections with other rideshare participants in their network(s), and plan their complete journeys with ease and simplicity.
- Reporting tools. Track program progress, generate charts and maps, and draw on categorized data to generate key strategic insights that support long-term success.
How ridesharing management software supports the success of commuter programs
Daily commute apps like the RideAmigos platform deliver important benefits on both the administration and end-user sides of the coin. That’s what drives their effectiveness: they make it easy to create, promote, and manage effective commuter programs while simultaneously delivering convenience to commuters themselves.
Here are some of the major benefits administrators enjoy:
- Survey and data analysis functions: No matter what type of commuter management strategy you’re considering, you will always be able to make it more effective if you base it around actionable, statistics-driven insights. The RideAmigos platform makes it easy to distribute surveys so you can glean key insights into commuter behavior. Its advanced data analysis tools also reveal many effective ways to put that information to work.
- Gamification management: As mentioned, gamification is a highly effective and proven way to get people on board with your commuter programs. But what about all the data they generate? Team-based challenge programs and points-based rewards programs both require careful tracking. It’s a lot of work to do manually, but software-based solutions automate data collection and distribution, making managing gamification initiatives a turnkey proposition.
- Tracking features: Without software, you’ll largely be left in the dark from day to day with regard to how well your programs and initiatives are performing. If monthly or quarterly check-ins reveal inefficiencies, you’ll quickly find yourself scrambling to play catch-up as you tweak your programs to better address user needs. Software platforms offer daily reporting tools that immediately let you see how well you’re faring. They’ll save you time, money, and energy.
A powerful app for ride sharing also benefits commuters in many tangible ways. Platforms with the aforementioned features achieve something that’s critical to the success of any carpooling initiative: making ridesharing just as easy and convenient as solo driving. By creating user-friendly rideshare networks and supporting secure, instantaneous messaging, commuters are far more likely to use the platform to share rides than they would be if they didn’t have specialized software to guide them.
Ridesharing has also been proven to reduce stress, improve productivity, support health, and help commuters expand their social networks. These benefits have trickle-down effects that can also make a positive impact on your company’s bottom line.
Turbocharge your initiatives with the industry’s leading ridesharing management software
The RideAmigos transportation demand management platform offers these and many other tools for creating and administering ridesharing programs. RideAmigos has already helped hundreds of private and public sector organizations build efficient and successful ridesharing communities, and we’d like to help you too. To learn more, click here to get started with further information, a consultation, or a free analysis of your existing rideshare initiatives.